This Sadie isn't scrubbing floors


If you're Australian, you can't hear the name Sadie without starting sing 'Sadie, the cleaning lady', John Farnham's 1968 pop song. It's a catchy song, but understandably, the name Sadie never took off here.



Ahh, scrub your floors, do your chores, dear old Sadie
Looks as though you'll always be a cleaning lady
Can't afford to get bored dear old Sadie
Looks as though you'll always be a cleaning lady

The Sadie Tunic is a StyleArc pattern, with a lovely neckline, loose fit and intriguing twisted sleeves that are made from a very odd looking pattern pieces that you have to be confident with because StyleArc instructions are far from comprehensive. It was a bit of a make it work moment and after a bit of experimentation I made it work.




I'd been interested in this style for a while and when I found this silk/rayon blend at the Fabulous Fabrics this is what I decided to make. I don't often find stuff I like at FF, a lot of it is too formal and fussy for my taste, as well as expensive. This was marked down 50 per cent from $55 per metre and I got 1.5 metres, which you can get this pattern out of if the fabric is wide.



I've never found silk/rayon before but it was a dream to sew, feels like silk but so much easier to press and I love the print. I made two changes - skipped the keyhole opening and loop at the back because I realised I could get it over my head easily, and skipped the curved hem and shortened it with a straight hem.

I've worn it quite a bit, it's dressy without being hard to wear, so I've worn it to work, out for dinner afterwards and to lunch on weekends. But not for cleaning, not this Sadie.



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts