Brenna coat




This is the CaliFaye Brenna coat in a camel coloured wool I bought at the fabric market in Hanoi back at Christmas.




This coat is an open front, fully lined coat with three-quarter length sleeves and side seam pockets.

I absolutely love it, I love how it looks, feels and I've been wearing it every day in these late winter, early spring days.

This coat is a goldilocks coat for me - not too hot, not too cold and it will take me anywhere. It looks great over dresses, skirts, jeans and work outfits and I think the colour makes it look quite luxurious. It goes with everything and it's got no collar, cuffs or closures so it was an easy sew.


I bought the fabric in Vietnam from the market in Hanoi that's mostly for locals. I found out about from Bobbin and Baste's blog, went exploring and decided, without a plan, to get two metres. I failed miserably at bargaining, I tried to suggest a lower price and the woman selling it just said 'No, that's the price'.

Fair enough I guess. It was only about $30 for two metres and I wasn't sure, but a burn test when I got back confirmed that it really is wool. The '100 per cent cottons' I bought in Saigon are certainly rayon and the other 'wool' is a poly, but this is the real deal.

I've never used a pattern from CaliFaye and I don't think it's the most brilliant one I've ever sewn. The side seam pockets are a bit too far back than they would ideally be, there are no separate pieces for lining, it's just the same pattern pieces as the outer. The method for attaching the back hem facing is not well resolved and led to some unpicking.




However, that said I love the result. I've worn this almost every day since I finished it and it has been perfect for these last chilly mornings and cool nights.

Comments

Popular Posts